Monday, September 10, 2007

"Sigh!!" cont...


(Disclaimer: I do know Hope is sideways, but I haven't been able to figure out how to post vertical pictures... so deal with it. She's too cute to leave out.)

So we've established that our first day was full of happenings that turned out in our favor, and that after several hours in transit we happily ended up sipping some fru-fru umbrella drink (well, Jim actually had a manly beer), watching the sunset, with our feet deep in the sand of the Hula Grill's barefoot bar. If you haven't tried it, it's a must, and one of the best reasons to visit Kaanapali and Whaler's Village, imho.

Day two begun with what I'd like to call a brave moment. Remember my crazy plans to run on the pinkish sandy beach in Kaanapali as the day got started? Well, call me crazy, or call it California time, but I was wide awake by 4:30 a.m. and ready to spring out of bed for said run. Except that not knowing if somehow in the peaceful surroundings of the Maui beach lurked a serial killer, I judged it better to wait until the sun at least started to come out. So by 0545 hours I was dressed adn ready to go. Running, here I come! And I did. I run through the pool area of the resort while orienting myself to my new, posh surroundings. I got to the board walk and went down to the beautiful beach, right on the sand... and that's when my feet started sinking in the softness of it, which made it difficult to do the graceful run you see Bo Derek practicing in "10". Of course, I also had skipped the bathing suit and was actually wearing sneakers, which didn't allow me to run on the firmer wet sand without getting wet by the light surf... But let's leave Bo back in the 80's and continue with this story.

Have I mentioned I don't run? Well, let me mention it now in case I forgot. I don't run. And I found it quite exhausting truth be told. But I stuck with it, since lap swim was out of the question (posh surroundings had a wonderful resort pool, geared toward more fru-fru umbrella drinks and no lap swimming). I will confess that at some point I had to modify my morning exercise to a swift walk until I hit firmer ground on the other side of the beach and back on the boardwalk. All in all, 20 min. of increased cardiac activity can't be that bad, right? I finished with some floor exercises and felt proud of myself for figuring out how to keep up my workout schedule while on vacation...

Then I got a cold and other issues that forced me to sit on my behind while watching it grow to the tune of 3.5 lbs. I know... who cares. I was in paradise. And hadn't it been for the fru-fru umbrella drinks in the first place, I probably would've done ok.

In any event, let me go back to the story on day two. Or actually, that was the story on day two. After having breakfast consisting of French Toast made with Hawaiian bread and covered with coconut syrup (yum!), the rest of the day was spent on wonderful oblivion by the pool and the ocean with Gina and James and all four keikis. Hope ended up with a stylish pony tail on top of her head, which brought a delighted smile on her mommy's face.

No comments: