Friday, June 13, 2008

Beware of the 5%!!!

Also known as "other duties as assigned" - that last line on most job descriptions, the 5% truly is a trap created by employers to make sure that: (1) they can change your job description at will without increasing your salary (heaven forbid!), and (2) you take on any duty whatsoever that can in any way, shape or form be associated with your current job description.

Case in point here: my friend and office neighbor Kristin, who for the purposes of this blog shall also be known as "Events Queen", was in charge of an event at work yesterday. Her job description has no custodial duties attached to it, and her title doesn't even get close to them - neither do mine. However, at the end of the day (a very, very, very long day), she and I found ourselves cleaning the patio off stepped-on crackers, grapes and cheese. Gross. But necessary. And yes, I did take some pictures for material and because I liked the light, but trust me, I also got my hands dirty (and wet).

So, beware of the 5%... and from this day on, if you drop a grape, a cracker or some cheese on the floor, for heaven's sake pick it up yourself!

No comments: