Saturday, August 25, 2007

Seven days to go and counting!!!

As we get closer to our much anticipated trip to beautiful Maui, I start counting the days. Today, we're down to seven before we board our plane and set off to paradise. Excited? Yes, you could say I'm excited. And that wouldn't begging to cover it!

I have been sunbathing for the past couple of months in anticipation of this moment... ok, partially, for those of you who really know me. I mean, sunbathing 80's style (you know, oil, sun, and the willingness to take the risk to get roasted) are practically a Peruvian girls' pastime. But don't let me digress... I've been working on this tan mercilessly, so that once in the island I can perfect it. I've been looking into activities to enjoy WITH kids (yeah... not much chance for diving, zipping, etc.) I've been dreaming of going back and watching the turtles. My hands are itching to grab the paddles of a kayak (and hopefully get my butt in it too, preferably out in the ocean...) I've bought snorkel gear for Larissa, in the hopes to get her to enjoy the view of the coral and fish. I have practically started my mental packing list, and my mental grocery list for once we get there... and I can all but taste the chocolate-chip cookie awaiting us on the plane, and the distinctive taste of coconut syrup we'll pour on our morning pancakes. And I'll look into bike rentals for rides around the area.

I even have figured out how to keep my of-late-insane workout habits while on vacation (with the ultimate goal of being able to indulge in the food, of course). And since it's more than likely that we'll be waking up at 5 a.m., keeping with our somewhat wake up time in California, I've convinced myself that I will be able to run on the beautiful pinkish sand of Kaanapali in pre-sunrise jogs... now that I write that down, it does sound insane. We'll see. You'll have to wait for my next report.

So, you may wonder, what exactly do we plan on doing during our stay? I mean, what could be better than doing nothing in paradise? If you think that, you may want to just stop reading now, before I spoil your fantasies of naps on the beach and umbrella drinks at sunset. Maui is to be explored. And I, my friend, am not one to stay put in one place for too long while traveling. Yes, I vow to work on the tan, but there are many hours to one day, and considering I've made quite a bit of progress on the status of my skin color, I can afford to work on the tan and do other things.

Before I forget, we got an exchange into the Westin Villas, which is where we are staying. Normally, we'd be at one of the Worldmark The Club properties, but what the hell. Among my crazy plans: visit the Old Lahaina Luau for their breakfast program, Ho'omana'o. The kids will have activities to enjoy, and it's during the first half of the day, so we'll get them tired for good naps in the afternoon. Our friends Gina and James will be there, staying at The Whalers, and we'll trade babysitting one afternoon, so we can go and take in a shore dive and swim with green turtles. Cool, huh? We'll take some time one afternoon to go to the Maui Ocean Center, since it's bound to make the girls' day. And I have to send an email to Skippy Hau, aquatic biologist with the Hawai'i Department of something or other, to see if they're monitoring any turtle nests that we can observe (4 a.m., but then that's 7 a.m. California time...) And there'll be snorkeling, and eating, and strolling down Lahaina, and all sorts of other things I'll come up with in the next few days.

Maui, here we come! I CAN'T WAIT! You, on the other hand, will have to wait for the next report.

Aloha!

No comments: