Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Spring Break on our way to Bass Lake

We finally took off on our Spring Break vacation. Expectations were high, starting with my much anticipated break from the sugar fast that had been driving me batty - I thought of sugar, I craved sugar, I dreamed of sugar... in short, I was obsessed with sugar, or the lack thereof.

The destination: Bass Lake and Yosemite. The plan: uncharted, for the first time ever. Other than a night in Yosemite, there was no plan. Probably because Bass Lake didn't seem to need a lot of planning. It was evident fairly early in the planning process that we were too late for winter activities and too early for everything else. We fell on that cusp. The weather seemed uncertain, but mostly on the sunny side.

I have now finally truly learned not to rely on the weather forecast.

As we got closer to our destination, we decided to take a side road, which turned out to be a short scenic byway. And it was scenic indeed! The landscape continued to turn into green rolling hills sprinkled with rocks, trees, and flowers. And before I knew it, I was on the lookout for the ever-elusive Poppy.

I am obsessed with Poppies, and Poppies like to taunt me. They show up in clumps on the side of the road - every road where I can't stop to take a picture or twenty or one hundred. So I spend many days driving by, looking on the side of the road, and itching for my camera - and a parking spot.

Jim and his eagle eyes finally found me a Poppy (well, there were more like four). We stopped and took a few pictures, with my brother's super wide-angle lens. I have now fallen in love with that lens. We have a 17 - 55 that does a great job. The 10 - 22 is even more fun... and boy, have I been having fun with it!! Pictures to follow, all on flickr.

That's it. We made it into Bass Lake. Our unit is awesome - two-level two bedroom, 2.5 bath, full kitchen and living room with a Murphy bed, just in case. It's like being home.

Next on the unplanned agenda: Yosemite. Although now it looks like rain is looming. Or snow. I'll take the snow given a choice - better pictures.

No comments: